Okay, so I know I always go on and on about how great all of my mom’s recipes are, but if they weren’t good, would I be putting them on here? This dip is super easy, just a cuppa this and a cuppa that and a pop-a-it into the oven (I tried). This dip is cheesy, and bit onion-y and a whole lotta good. Got a party and don’t know what to bring and you want to be the center of attention? This dip is for you!
Just interested in the recipe? Skip straight to it.
Now, usually, when my mom makes this dip she tries not to tell people what’s in it before they try it (you’ll see). If you aren’t a big fan of onions, don’t worry, neither is my mom! The onions come out sorta like carmelized onion so it’s not bad (now if you hate onion in all forms, you better check out this other dip instead). Pretty much this dip is creamy, swissy, and oniony, and the reason I don’t have other ways of explaining what this dip tastes like because that is all that’s in the darn thing! But trust me, this super simple dip will make you the next star at whatever gathering you bring it to.
Okay, I guess it’s finally time to tell you what’s actually in this thing. The original recipe is called cuppa cuppa because its a cup of swiss, a cup of onion, and a cup of mayo. Yeah, I said it there’s a whole lotta mayo in this. But think back to the savory dips you love and I bet there is more mayo in it then you’d care to admit. Now, my mom isn’t the Paula Deen of mayo, so she cuts it back to 3/4 cup (that cut is just enough to enjoy the carb-loaded crackers that go with it).
Now, the worst thing about this recipe (I know, you’re surprised it wasn’t the mayo), is that it goes too quick. I’ve seen my mom make a triple batch of this stuff and still run out before all the guests arrive. This is also a family favorite for us, and my mother often makes it as part of the ‘appetizers’ before Thanksgiving dinner (aka ‘get the kids to shut up about being hungry’ snacks). She will often have to save herself a few bites because it’ll be gone in seconds after it’s out of the oven…bless this woman. So, if this hasn’t convinced you to even try this recipe, I don’t know what will (stubborn one are we?).
Alright, well let’s get to it!
Cuppa Cuppa Cuppa - An Onion and Swiss Party Dip
A wonderfully easy dip that'll be a hit at your next party!
Everything was measured with dry measuring cups.
- 1 cup packed swiss cheese, grated (nothing fancy, the cheap blocks are what we use)
- 1 cup white or yellow onion finely chopped (about 1 medium onion)
- 3/4 cup mayo (a good brand of plain mayo, no olive oil crap or miracle whip)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Crackers (really any will do but pre-GF we used Club or Ritz, use what you like)
Directions1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix swiss and cornstarch. In a medium bowl place the swiss and cornstarch. Mix to coat the grated swiss evenly in cornstarch. If using pre-shredded swiss, only use 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch. Remove any extra cornstarch that doesn’t stick to the cheese and sits at the bottom.
3. Add onion and mayo. Add the mayo and onion with the swiss and mix until well combined.
3. Transfer dip and cook. After the dip is well mixed, transfer it to an oven-safe ramekin or bowl (this will be the bowl the dip is served in). Smooth out the top of the dip with the back of a spoon and place into the oven for 30-45 minutes, or until nice and golden brown on top.
3. Sit and serve. Let the dip sit for 10 minutes before draining off the oil that comes to the top. Do this by tilting the ramekin over and draining the oil out and then pat off the top with a paper towel to remove the excess (this is from the cheese).
4. Enjoy! Serve the dip with some crackers and a small spoon/knife to help get it onto the crackers and make immediate plans to make this again.
5. Leftovers: This dip can be reheated in the oven at 350°F for 15 minutes or until warm. Dip can be made ahead of time and baked on the day of. Dip should be consumed within 2-3 days after baked and 3-5 days if unbaked.
For more P.S. Love Mom Recipes:
Thank you so much for stopping by and I hope you have a wonderful day! 🙂
*I am not affiliated with nor do I get any money from any products/companies mentioned in this post.*
3 thoughts on “P.S. Love Mom: Cuppa Cuppa Cuppa – An Onion and Swiss Party Dip”
This looks SO good!!!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks so much! Hope you like it if you try it 😊
LikeLiked by 1 person
LikeLiked by 1 person