Halloween decorations have hit stores, the pumpkin spice latte has been gaining buzz, and darn it I think it’s time for Fall! So, what better way to welcome fall than with a Fall spiced pear cocktail that is still very refreshing for these last few warm weeks. This beautiful cocktail combines fresh pear, spices, bourbon, a splash of lemon, and it’s all topped off with a bit of bubbly ginger ale. It is refreshing and not overly sweet, but definitely gets me in the Fall mood.
Just interested in the recipe? Skip straight to it.
I have been waiting eagerly for Fall since the last time it was around. I love the colder months and everything to do with them, don’t get me started on all the holidays (I am a Christmas fanatic). However, Fall does not seem to be happening quick enough. Now I know fall isn’t offically here, but we all know fall is a feeling and not based on calendar dates. Around here it’s been bright, sunny, and 90 degrees out. It’s definitely not Fall. But I am so ready for it to happen. So, here is the perfect drink to start celebrating the Fall we all hold in our hearts a little early this year with a refreshing twist so we don’t pass out from heat exhaustion.
When researching pear cocktails I found a lot that were paired with white wine or were sickly sweet with bourbon. I didn’t really love either option and didn’t feel like they let the pear be the star of the show. So this drink is paired with bourbon, but the effervescent ginger ale and squeeze of lemon really bring this whole thing together into a refreshing and light cocktail that isn’t cloyingly sweet.
Tips for the Perfect Drink
The lemon in this recipe is SO important. On my second taste test, I forgot to add the lemon and kept scratching my head wondering why this beautiful drink suddenly sucked so much. I had forgotten the lemon and as soon as I put it in I was met with the delicious drink I originally created.
Don’t over ice! The pear is such a delicate flavor in this drink that if you put ice into the glass it will become far too watered-down. I recommend shaking with ice to chill it and serving immediately. You could also park these in the fridge if making ahead of time to keep them cool without watering them down.
Lastly, this drink separates easily as the pear naturally floats to the bottom. If serving immediately I wouldn’t worry too much about it, but if these will be sitting out for people to grab throughout an event, then I would recommend serving these with a cocktail stirrer.
How To Make the Pear Garnish & Alternatives
I used a mandoline set to 1.5 mm thickness to get even slices. You could, with a steady handy and a sharp knife cut thin slices and get the same effect. I also used an Anjou pear that was a bit hard so that the slices were nice and sturdy, but any pear should do. After the pear has been sliced, slightly bend the pear and stick into the glass down one side. The pear will naturally float up and create the angle. You need the width of the pear slice to be larger than the glass diameter so it wedges itself and doesn’t sink to the bottom.
If using shorter glasses you could put a pear wedge onto a skewer/cocktail stirrer and set it across the glass (like this drink here). You could also style a pear wedge like a lemon wedge on the edge of the glass. There are a ton of different options to get a cut pear garnish, but you could also use a cinnamon stick, a cute cocktail stirrer, or nothing at all.
Let’s get our drink on!
Spiced Pear and Bourbon Autumn Cocktail
A beautifully spiced pear cocktail that is refreshing and oh so delicious.
- 1/2 of a ripe to overripe pear cut into cubes (I used Bartlett, but I think Anjou or Bosc would also work well)
- 1 to 1 1/2 ounces bourbon (up to personal preference)
- 6 ice cubes
- A squeeze of lemon (like one to two lemon wedges worth)
- 6 to 8 ounces ginger ale (depends on how much juice you get out of your pear) – For the Spice Blend –
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions1. Make the spice blend. In a small bowl mix all the spices together and set aside. This spice blend will make enough for 3 drinks.
2. Muddle. Place the prepared pear cubes into a shaker and muddle well.
3. Add bourbon and shake. After muddling the pear, add ice cubes, lemon, 1/4 teaspoon of the spice blend, and bourbon into the shaker with the pear and give the whole thing a really good shake (this should utterly obliterate the pear).
4. Add ginger ale. Slowly add in the ginger ale to the shaker (this will help get the pear out, but it will fizz like crazy). Give the thing a swirl or quick stir to mix.
5. Strain. Pour the contents of the shaker through the shaker’s strainer and fine sieve into your final glass (this will remove the large chunks of pear/pear skin). You may need to use a spoon and stir the contents in the sieve to help things move along.
6. Garnish. Top with more ginger ale if need, add your pear garnish (see above for tips) and enjoy!
7. For a crowd. If you are making this drink for more than two people then I would suggest using a food processor to get all the pear broken down. Add the pear and the spice blend into a food processor and blend until it is the texture of applesauce (besides the skin). Run the pear mixture through a sieve into a pitcher. Add all remaining ingredients into the pitcher and give it a good stir. Fill individual glasses with a bit of ice or chill the contents of the pitcher in the fridge before serving.
I hope you enjoyed the recipe! Here are some more of my favorite drink recipes:
Peach + Jalapeno Gin Cocktail Recipe
Peach & Blueberry Whiskey Cocktail Recipe
A Classic Mudslide Milkshake Recipe (gluten-free)
Thank you so much for stopping by and I hope you have a wonderful week!
5 thoughts on “Spiced Pear + Bourbon Autumn Cocktail Recipe”